Florida Republican aims to undo post Parkland gun laws

Florida Republican aims to undo post Parkland gun laws
  • Sumo

Well, that didn’t take long, did it?

On the eve of the inauguration last week, Florida State Rep. Mike Hill (R-Pensacola) filed a bill Monday that would roll back the gun restrictions passed by last year’s state legislature in the wake of the student shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland.

“The law that was passed last year was a direct infringement upon our Second Amendment, so I was duty bound by my oath to file this legislation to protect and defend our Second Amendment rights,” Hill said, referring to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act, which, among other things, banned bump stocks, raised the minimum age to buy a firearm from 18 to 21 years old, extended the waiting period to buy a gun to three days and created the “red-flag” provision that allows law enforcement to temporarily confiscate guns from anyone who threatens to hurt themselves or anyone else.

Hill’s bill would repeal those restrictions, which he said would do “absolutely nothing to stop what it intended to and that was mass shootings at our schools.”

The legislation, and a companion bill to be filed by Sen. Dennis Baxley (R-Ocala), first have to go through committee before getting to the House and Senate floors.

So this means that we could see a repeat of last year’s emotional testimony and fierce advocacy on both sides of the issue as the NRA again focuses on Florida.

Already, newly-elected Democratic State Rep. Cindy Polo — a Miami Lakes mom who decided to run after the shooting — vowed to fight the bill every step of the way.

“After one of the most devastating mass shootings in our state’s history, lawmakers from both sides of the aisle came together to pass a new set of gun safety laws. This legislation was not perfect, but it was a start,” Polo said in a statement.

“We must continue to move forward with bipartisan consensus on these issues and not backwards. This NRA-sponsored legislation is not the way to honor all of those we lost almost a year ago.

“We have a responsibility to the Parkland families and to all communities in Florida. It’s time our loyalty be with the people and not the NRA. I encourage all of my colleagues to do the same.”

Ladra can’t help but wonder how the survivors and the family of the victims feel about this.

Hill’s loyalties seem to be warped and he’s headed to a pretty big year, ensuring headlines. The other bills he’s introducing pre-session include one to ban the removal of confederate symbols — street names, statutes, whatever — which is already in committee and a controversial “fetal heartbeat” anti-abortion bill, which has been tried state by state to make Roe Vs. Wade moot.

And we haven’t even really gotten started.

7 Responses to "Florida Republican aims to undo post Parkland gun laws"

1. Anti Murder   January 13, 2019 at 7:17 am

Florida! It was entirely predictable that the NRA would entice elected officials to loosen laws regulating guns. The NRA and many white elected officials seem to encourage school shootings and other types of mass shootings.

2. Jorge   January 14, 2019 at 11:08 am

I just wish the blame was placed squarely where it belongs, the perpetrator, not the tool. I do think that the current gun laws are a bit stupid in certain areas and should be cleaned up instead of adding new layers to existing confusing layers. Mentally ill people will always find a way, whether it’s a gun, car, knife or pipe bomb. The “solutions” of making AR-15’s, magazine capacity or whatever other evil item illegal is not going to prevent sick people from doing sick things. We must place personal responsibility where it belongs and stop being scared of inanimate objects used by the media and politicians to keep us scared.

Honestly, I’m way more worried about falling in my bathtub.

3. Tony & Dawn   January 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm

…Our nice Latín community, contributed to a libertine mode of arms traffic, hell bent as we were to bring down the Rulers of the Cuban Revolution. Rifles were sold from person to person. We were just naive, not mean, as shown by the many slick weapons rifled from parked cars glove compartments. It’s asinine to think that the fiscalization of gun ownership is detrimental or impossible.

4. hans   January 20, 2019 at 4:09 am

First time I ever saw a gun, Miami airport 1985, it scared me to death, I was 25 years old. Imagine that, someone so old and never seen a gun, what unholy pathetic place must he be from!

5. Jose   February 8, 2019 at 4:53 am

hans ,
    ” First time I ever saw a gun, Miami airport 1985, it scared me to death, ” lol that was great . I can relate.
    I was 18 in the Army and after firing at the firing range , I said to myself ” Wow I would hate to be at the receiving end of this ” .

First round I fired was scary but after awhile it was redundant .

I do have a weapon at home but can not stand the NRA . I find them DANGEROUS extremists and find it hilarious when their supporters think that their poorly equipped hee haw militias can hold off the military for even a second.

Perhaps 100 years ago but not now .

Drones alone will take them out with their archaic hand held weapons .

6. Jose   February 8, 2019 at 4:57 am

Anti Murder,
    Bigger NRA pawns then Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are hard to find so its just not ” White ” .

7. Jose   February 8, 2019 at 5:16 am

Jorge ,
    I understand your point but the inanimate object is made for killing not for anything else . Why not legalize hand grenades , after all they are just inanimate objects unless used ?

Having said this I have a weapon at home ( Glock) so not anti-gun and believe in the right to have a weapon but find the NRA insane who if up to them we could own M-60 machine guns and why stop there .

The NRA works strictly for the gun manufacturer .

Though I guess you will disagree the Dems do not want to take away anyone’s guns and many own .

The NRA is correct as far as drunk drivers and texters kill more innocent people every year and if up to me anyone caught driving drunk and / or texting would go to jail for years.

So at least I’m consistent , lol .