Socialize

FacebookTwitterYoutube

Miami-Dade Muslims fear impact of Trump’s Muslim ban

  • SumoMe

So far, only President Donald’s Trump executive orders on Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainer requests have sparked protests and discussions about the miami-mosqueimpacts in Miami-Dade, where Mayor Carlos Gimenez ordered the corrections department to start holding illegal immigrants for 48 hours.

But on Wednesday, the talk turns to the Muslim Ban.

That’s when the Miami-Dade Community Relations Board meets to hear from the Coalition of South Florida Muslim Organizations and discuss the impact on local residents of the recent presidential executive order restricting travel from seven majority-Muslim countries.

Read related story: Looming face off at County Hall over sanctuary switch 

Even though a court has put a stay on the order to keep visitors from those countries out — an order that returned seven legal U.S. residents traveling back from those countries — the Muslim community is on edge because that could change again, and, furthermore, it indicates a federal administration that has put a target on their backs.

“This sends out a wave of fear and insecurity within a community that is already insecure and feels unsafe because of mugshakirglobal terrorism and the lack of understanding on the part of the local community who cannot distinguish between local Muslims and global Muslims,” said Mohammad Shakir, a spokesman for the Coalition, known as COSMOS.

“We want to help people understand the difference between the global Muslim and the local American Muslims in our community,” said Shakir. “A lot of people suffer as a result of this hodgepodge, insensible act by our president.”

Part of the discussion Wednesday will be a call for the community relations board “to keep an eye on the events that take place,” said Shakir, who is apparently expecting some more Muslim backlash either from the government or from the community.

“We are remaining in contact with major support organizations like the ACLU and other groups that deal with civil rights. It’s a watch and see situation.”

The meeting begins at 2 p.m. at Masjid Miami Gardens, 4305 Northwest 183rd St. in Miami Gardens and it is open to the public.

Unfortunately, it looks like Commissioner Barbara Jordan — whose district includes the Muslim enclaves of Miami Gardens and Opa-Locka — won’t be unable to attend the board meeting because there is a Public Safety and Health Committee, on which she serves, meeting at 1:30 p.m.

Maybe Shakir should have made his presentation there?

Here’s another suggestion: Go to the commission meeting this Friday where the immigrant community is going to speak against another part of Donald Trump‘s “hodgepode and insensible” immigration policy and the county mayor’s knee-jerk reaction to his threats — which, by the way, doesn’t bode well for the Muslim community. Build an alliance with the immigrants.

After all, you both have targets on your backs.

3 Responses to Miami-Dade Muslims fear impact of Trump’s Muslim ban

  1. JERRY EDELMAN Reply

    February 15, 2017 at 8:57 am

    By continuing to spread lies and MISINFORMATION about the Trump Immigration orders, you are NOT doing the community you claim to represent any good, nor are you furthering America’s best interests for safety for ALL it’s citizens. The ONLY people Muslims should fear or anyone else looking to come into the United States are CRIMINALS or people who have the intent on doing harm to LAW ABIDING AMERICANS. NO ONE ELSE should be concerned, as long as you are LEGALLY in the country. This temporary BAN was NEVER a MUSLIM ban as most in the DISHONEST MEDIA and LEFTIST DEMOCRATS have portrayed. The President has the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT and OBLIGATION to keep America and AMERICANS who are legal citizens safe. NO REFUGEES have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to enter the UNITED STATES. That right is NOT in our constitution. And it would be great if people would sit down and actually READ the constitution, including the CORRUPT JUDGES of the 9th circuit who simply made an ILLEGAL POLITICAL decision putting a halt to the Executive Order that President Trump signed. If this goes to the Supreme Court,every constitutional scholar I have heard says the President’s order will be deemed CONSTITUTIONAL. It’s time we put America’s SAFETY first, rather than ILLEGAL CRIMINALS.

    • Proud american Reply

      February 15, 2017 at 4:11 pm

      Thank you for speaking facts. It’s amazing to listen to the left whine. Pelosi can’t work with Bush, the 9th judge making an obvious political ruling. All the screaming about the ICE raids, which by the way were planned under Omama. A headline yesterday said, ” The Oroville Dam Crisis Exposes the Flaws in Trump’s Infrastructure Plan”. Really, the dam was built in 1968. Trump has been in office for 21 days. It’s his fault?

  2. Jose Gomez Reply

    February 15, 2017 at 9:46 am

    So says the fascist in patriot’s clothing. How is that relationship with the Russians working out for you today? Seems you are much closer to the left than you think.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *