Socialize

FacebookTwitterYoutube

Michael Pizzi mocks election turnout, says ‘I’ll be back’

• Sharebar

Former Mayor Michael "Muscles" Pizzi always puts on a brave face.

On the day before the Miami Lakes special election Tuesday to replace him, former Mayor Michael “Muscles” Pizzi — who was suspended after his August arrest on public corruption charges — said, Fear not, supporters because he would soon be their leader again, regardless of the results in the race.

“When I am exonerated of the current allegation, I will be back as Mayor regardless of the outcome of any special call elections,” he wrote in the email sent out to who knows how many friends and voters — wonder if he got access to the city’s email list that he fought so hard in court to keep out of others’ hands — at 2:10 p.m. Monday under the subject heading “Hello my friends.”

Pizzi also told Ladra Wednesday that he didn’t vote in Tuesday’s race for any candidate, mayoral or council — because he thinks the special election should never have happened because he should never have been suspended.

But, he reminded me, neither did 80 percent of the electorate. And that is true. And troublesome.

Turnout was very low, especially considering that 75 percent of voters came out in November. Of course, that was for a presidential election.

Mayor Wayne Slaton won with 48 percent of the vote.

But founding Mayor Wayne Slaton, who won Tuesday, lost miserably back then with about twice the number of votes he got in this election. I don’t think he cares a whit, but it does sound odd.

And if that sounds strange, get this: More people voted against Slaton than for him — but he still gets to be mayor. Because there is no run-off, Slaton gets to rule with only 48 percent of the people’s support. And this is a democracy!

Ladra hates to agree with Pizzi, but it sure doesn’t look like a mandate to me either. And I also think, like he does, that the city charter should be changed to include a runoff after a special election, should no one candidate garner more than 50 percent. I hope Slaton includes that in the list of policy changes he wants to effect while in office.

Pizzi reminded folks in his email that he was re-elected with approximately 70 percent of the vote in November and he was quick to tell Ladra the same thing.

“I was elected by more than 10,000 votes,” Pizzi said. “It’s pretty hard to say this election was a mandate against me or to bring about change.

“A lot of people stayed home because they feel they elected their mayor, namely me, last November. They were offended by the fact that I was removed from office before I was officially charged and indicted.”

Notice Pizzi says before — like its a when, not an if. That arraignment is now scheduled for Oct. 25, the third date he’s had in court. Let’s see if this one sticks. Ladra has heard that he is not cooperating with authorities — “I haven’t changed my position from Day One,” he told me — and that investigators are searching for more to hang him on. FBI agents were seen at Miami Lakes Town Hall last week.

But Pizzi is comforted in the low turnout Tuesday.

“If Miami Lakes was hungry to get Pizzi out, more than 20 percent of the electorate would have come out to vote,” he said.

But, frankly, Ladra thinks people just didn’t care. They were too busy singing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead and it just didn’t matter that much to many who won the mayoral race. The worst part was over for them.

Or maybe all the Pizzi supporters stayed home and didn’t vote for anyone, leaving the rest to divide their votes up among the replacements. ”Maybe a lot of people feel I got a raw deal and that I should be the mayor,” he said.

And maybe I can twerk like Miley Cyrus.

The following is the text from Pizzi’s email, verbatim and whole:

“I want to thank everyone for their prayers and support. In November, 2012 approximately 70% of Miami Lakes voters re-elected me as Mayor based on the accomplishments that we achieved in office. These accomplishments can be seen at the new Government Center, as 87th Avenue nears completion, new parks are built and we have a new hospital going up in Town. Our children, seniors and veterans have never received better services and more attention. All this was done while lowering taxes.  Nothing has changed these accomplishments or my record of success for the people.  My salary as Mayor was $18,000 and I never profited one penny from elective office.  Period.  Other than my home, I own no property, no fancy cars and not even a watch. I have no consulting businesses and any extra money is spent on local events.

Recently, multiple members of Congress and more than one neighboring Mayor have been completely exonerated from allegations that were proven to be false. There were big headlines months ago, and now they are cleared and serving their people.  In the case of Miami Lakes, the allegation revolves around our Council passing a Resolution to allow for the application of a grant to help our City create jobs.  Not a penny of our tax payer dollars were spent and other cities passed the same resolutions in hopes of getting the same federal funding for their cities. There have never been allegations of widespread corruption in our City. When I am exonerated of the current allegation, I will be back as Mayor regardless of the outcome of any special call elections.  It is unfortunate that I was suspended from office before I was even formally charged.  Other officials have had more serious allegations involving hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars and were allowed to serve their constituents until they had their day in Court.

Please let me know how you are doing and I pray every day for you and your family. My focus right now must necessarily be on clearing my name but also still on trying to help my fellow neighbors as best I can as I have been doing my entire adult life with great sacrifice from myself and my children.

God Bless,Michael Pizzi”

Yes, God Bless Michael Pizzi. He is going to need it.

8 Responses to Michael Pizzi mocks election turnout, says ‘I’ll be back’

1. Joe Carrillo Reply

October 3, 2013 at 10:01 am

What part of accepting cash in his office at City Hall from an informant who was wired doesn’t he understand. Mr. Centorino couldn’t protect him that night. Pizzi is smart, but this time he was caught.

2. Joe Carrillo Reply

October 3, 2013 at 10:04 am

Woops, forgot to mention the $200,000 cash stolen from his office.Yes, no watch, no fancy car, but yes $200,000. cash. I would love to debate him on that one and I have the documents to prove it.

3. Fred Hagen Reply

October 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

The uninformed and apathetic citizenry who stay at home during an election do the rest of us a favor by allowing the concerned, informed and responsible minority to do the electing. And that’s how it should be, in my opinion.

In our free society, apathy and ignorance are as much of a right as education and participation in the political process. But those who opt out of making the effort to study the issues and cast a vote disqualify themselves in protesting the results, and by default should abide placidly by the outcome.

You mention that this election didn’t give Mr. Slaton a mandate. I beg to differ.
    The silent (and sedentary) majority ceded their latent power to the vocal (and involved) minority, thus making 20% of the registered voters 100% of the electing few. And that nucleus, in my strongly held opinion, gave Mr. Slaton a huge plurality compared with the also-rans.

Yours very truly (and respectfully)
    Fred Hagen

4. Albert Bondiga Reply

October 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I have a really good friend named Willy, you guys might know him as US Attorney Wifredo Ferrer. Anyway, Willy is really good at his job and doesn’t pursue any cases his office can’t prosecute and despite Mike Pizzi’s assertions that he’s innocent, he’s not. He lied about work actually being done in Miami Lakes and whether or not he stood to benefit from that, he felt so inclined to hide in a closet to prevent anything from being heard. That does not sound to me like a person who thinks they did nothing wrong. Anyway. The real winners here are the decent people of Miami Lakes who ran for cover and watched as Town committees that were actually populated by well-meaning volunteers were filled with Mike and his minions whose only concern was appointing themselves as Chairs of these committees and making decisions with taxpayer dollars that benefited their cronies. Watch the return to decency and unity and residential involvement that we’re going to see now. Plus, he shouldn’t read so much into the turnout when everyone expected a low voter turnout in a non Presidential/non-midterm election. I guarantee if Mike ever tries to run again, you will see the people of Miami Lakes that REALLY care about the Town’s reputation, come out in full force to prevent his tarnishing of this beautiful Town’s image again.

5. Clever Name Reply

October 4, 2013 at 10:06 am

The message here is what?

That he’s a highly accomplished, popular whore? Or that his crime was equivalent to being stopped for doing 30 mph in a school zone, when others were clocked at 80 mph?

Ladra dawgy, let’s not concern the locals here with the suggestion that the perp may walk. Pizzzi’s throwdown was the result of a federal cavity search. The probe continues to be so invasive, they may discover malignant polyps before it’s all over.

That he claims he is innocent because: “My salary as Mayor was $18,000 and I never profited one penny from elective office. Period.” is just further evidence of his monumental douchiness. He’s playing to his apologists, his hacks, his obsequious ass kissers. Won’t mention any names-Hopeless-but they know who they are. What he won’t explain is why he lied to the auditors about the performance of the phony company purported to have received the funds. Funds that he knew were not going to see their way to Town coffers. Funds he thought were released to a non-existent company as compensation for a non-existent study. Yea…he was duped!

What about the 193k he was scoring in Medley? That kind of coin affords him the luxury to upgrade some of the material possessions he claims he did without. For sure we know he didn’t use it on his wardrobe or his dentist! There are meth addicts with better racks than this ass clown. Shitty car, limited real estate, no regard for oral hygiene, no timepieces… good thing some women like power!

But hey, we know he’ll continue to regale us with more useless information and fabrications. He has spent the better part of his “suspension” railing against the Feds, and the injustice of the allegations leveled at him. Better translated, he’s been whining like a little bitch! Won’t serve him well tho. Once he enters the pearly gates of the penn, I’m thinking he’s going to need endless supplies of anal ice packs.

To relieve the inflammation…

6. teresita Reply

October 4, 2013 at 6:57 pm

The good people of ML deserve a break from the likes of Pizzi, all the candidates were better than him, so ML had a winning day no matter who was elected, but there is a good spring cleaning due, change manager and get someone who is qualified and certified, get an attorney that does not give bad advice and respect does that voted and those that didn’t for they all members of the community. PIZZI please stop the crying your are not coming back. Take the $74,000.00 (or maybe more) that Meadly gave you to get rid of you and buy yourself a tooth brush and a new tee shirt (washed them frequently). You are not only a loser but for sure a FOOL ( you need to follow your atty’s advice and keep quiet ). Pizzi always claims he speaks Spanish,”EN BOCAS CERRADAS NO ENTRAN MOSCAS” I sure hope he can read this ” LLevatelo viento de agua”. Good night

7. Anonymous Reply

October 5, 2013 at 10:31 am

Considering he won election to his first term with this kind of turnout, he’s not someone to be mocking anything.

8. Robert Stockman Reply

October 14, 2013 at 7:42 am

Michael Pissy is a liar, thief and crooked lawyer, perjurer and all around sleaze. A flogging might be a good place to start before they put him under the jail.